Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday at Grace Village and Juno's Orphanage

A few days ago I met this girl at Grace village and got to spend only a few minutes with her. I told her her smile was beautiful and she beamed. I loved being able to just hug her tightly but it was for only a short period of time. The next day we went to pick up the kids from there for the beach day and I was saddened to hear that she was not coming along. I told her that I would see her later and gave her a big hug. When we arrived back at grace village after the beach, she was there with the greatest smile and the biggest hug. Next thing I knew she gave me this piece of paper completely covered in stickers and as I unfolded it I saw an entire page filled with the kindest most sincere words that anyone has ever said to or about me. This girl knew more about my spirit than any of my closest friends and she had only spent a total of 10 minutes with me with no words spoken because of the language barrier. Yet this letter was written in English. Beautiful.

Today most of the team went to Grace village, while some of the team went to the wound clinic. At Grace village we were given a tour by one of the long term missionaries; Jess. We learned all about future plans for the rest of the ten acres of land and we also learned about how Healing Haiti gives back to the community. It was really inspiring to see the different ways in which one organization can make such a profound impact on a community like that. After the tour Kalley shared a faith lesson with the orphans and then we did a few crafts.

After our time at Grace village we went to an orphanage called Junos. It was great to have a fresh perspective on what a average orphanage in Haiti is like. The kids there were super welcoming and so responsive to us being there. We sang songs with them and painted the girls nails. The boys did an awesome job at that, I think they all have found their true calling in life.

Teagan

No comments:

Post a Comment